About Fraserburg

About Fraserburg

The first Europeans to settle in the area arrived in 1780.

  • The town was established in 1851 and named after a Scottish immigrant – Reverend Colin Fraser.
  • The nearest towns of Williston, Sutherland, Loxton and Lee-Gamka are all approximately 100km away.
  • The Post-Office was opened in 1858, the Magistrate’s Office in 1859, the Police Station in 1860 and the Prison in 1861 (closed in 1968).
  • Fraserburg became a Municipality on 6 June 1862.
  • Die Peperbus, a well-known landmark in Fraserburg, was designed and built as an office in 1861 and stands 8.5m tall with one door and one window and served over the next 150 years as Magistrate’s Private Office, the Market Master’s Office, library, council chamber, School Board Office and Store room.

Fraserburg Attractions

Dinocephalian Footprints

Dinocephalian footprints

Dinocephalian Footprints found on Gansfontein – 5km on R353.
The paleo-surface, commonly called “the footprints”, is found on the farm Gansfontein 5km out of town. It is one of the most spectacular surfaces found in the Karoo and displays several trackways of large four-footed, five-toed mammal-like reptiles known as dinocephalians, and a single set of stubby-toed prints probably made by a primitive reptile known as Bradysaurus.
For access to the museum, and for historical and cultural tours, and tours of the Gansfontein Paleo surface, contact Marthinus Kruger: 084 873 0098

Logan Festival

Logan drama festival

Fraserburg is also home to the annual Logan Drama Festival. This youth drama festival is the oldest and biggest festival of its kind in South Africa and is run by a local group of enthusiasts and volunteers who want to bring drama to a local stage.
Many school festivals around the country such as the festivals in Springbok, Montagu and Brackenfell can all trace their roots back to what happened here in Fraserburg all those years ago.
It started way back in 1975 as an Eistedfodd of sorts and soon one-act plays were included in the programme. By 1980, many Capetonian schools came to participate and the local school stage was inundated with all the plays and budding actors. Many stage and TV celebrities took their first steps on the stage here in Fraserburg.
For more information contact Gerhard Visagie (“Sir”) on 023 741 1093

Ou Pastorie Museum

Ou Pastorie museum

This building was erected in 1856 to accommodate the first reverend of the newly founded congregation, Rev Carl Arnoldus Bamberger. With roof made from reeds, white washed walls, windows with small panes, elaborate front entrance and discharge pipes, all this give the building a typical Cape Dutch appearance. At one stage, it was the only formal building in the village.
Amazingly, the four inside walls are rounded and it still has the original yellowwood floorboards and some of the original yellowwood ceiling boards. In time some of the ceiling boards warped and were replaced in the early nineteen hundreds with pine. At present the building hosts a museum and fossil display which is well worth a visit.
For access to the museum, and for historical and cultural tours, and tours of the Gansfontein Paleo surface, contact Marthinus Kruger: 084 873 0098

Die Peperbus (The Pepperpot)

Die Peperbus

This six-sided structure, unique in South Africa, and situated on what is known as the old Market Square, has become the symbol of Fraserburg. It was designed by the Reverend Bamberger, and built by Adam jacobs, a local artisan, in 1861.

Die Peperbus has had many uses. It was meantant to serve as a market house and the bell rung for market. It soon served as the magistrate’s private office, the first magistrate Mr. Balston arriving in 1859. The Town Clerk administered the town from here, and it also served as a council chamber when the village attained municipal status in 1862. When the municipality moved to other premises Die Peperbus was used as the Public Library (1866), School Board office (1951) and storeroom respectively. At one time the assistant Reverend Van Schalkwyk used it as a study.

The bell was rung whenever fire broke out, as well as serving as an evening curfew bell, rung at 9PM, when all non-white persons were expected to be out of town. The curfew was discontinued in the 1930’s, but the bell continued to be rung at this time until the 1950’s.

Die Peperbus was proclaimed a National Monument in 1971. It is now a Northern Cape provincial heritage site.
Visit Die Peperbus in Meyburg Street, behind the Magistrate’s office.


 

Follow us on Facebook
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close