The paleo-surface, commonly called "the footprints", is found on the farm Gansfontein 5km out of town. It is one of the most spectacular surfaces found in the Karoo and displays several trackways of large four-footed, five-toed mammal-like reptiles known as dinocephalians, and a single set of stubby-toed prints probably made by a primitive reptile known as Bradysaurus.
Tours are scheduled for 10:00 and 14:00 from Monday to Friday
Contact Don-Pedro on 023 741 1703 or 082 941 6567 to book a tour
Fraserburg is also home to the annual Logan Drama Festival. This youth drama festival is the oldest and biggest festival of its kind in South Africa and is run by a local group of enthusiasts and volunteers who want to bring drama to a local stage.
Many school festivals around the country such as the festivals in Springbok, Montagu and Brackenfell can all trace their roots back to what happened here in Fraserburg all those years ago.
It started way back in 1975 as an Eistedfodd of sorts and soon one act plays were included in the programme. By 1980, many Capetonian schools came to participate and the local school stage was inundated with all the plays and budding actors. Many stage and TV celebrities took their first steps on a stage here in Fraserburg.
For more information contact Gerhard Visagie ("Sir") on 023 741 1093
This building was erected in 1856 to accommodate the first reverend of the newly founded congregation, Rev Carl Arnoldus Bamberger. With roof made from reeds, white washed walls, windows with small panes, elaborate front entrance and discharge pipes, all this give the building a typical Cape Dutch appearance. At one stage, it was the only formal building in the village.
Amazingly,the four inside walls are rounded and it still has the original yellowwood floorboards and some of the original yellowwood ceiling boards. In time some of the ceiling boards warped and were replaced in the early nineteen hundreds with pine. At present the building hosts a museum and fossil display which is well worth a visit.
The Ou Pastorie Museum is maintained by Karoo Hoogland Municipality(KHM) and is open on Mondays to Fridays from 07h30 to 15h30.
For more information contact Don-Pedro on 023 741 1703 or 082 941 6567.
The Peperbus was designed by the same Reverend Carl Bamberger and built in 1861 by Adam Jacobs.The house in which he is still in use today. The building is 8.5 meters tall and has only one door and one window. The building served as the Magistrate’s private office, the Market Master’s office and also the first library. The Town Clerk administrated the town from here and it also served as council chamber when the village attained Municipal status in 1862.
When the municipality moved to other premises, the Peperbus was used as Public Library, School Board Office and storeroom respectively. At one time the assistant Rev Van Schalkwyk used it as a study. In years past the bell at the Peperbus was rung at 9pm by the village constable to enforce a nightly curfew for the Coloured community of Fraserburg. This curfew was discontinued in about 1930.
Visit the Peperbus in Meyburg Street, behind the Magistrate's office